A little boy plays with the United States flag as his mother and grandmother paint the lettering of a tombstone.
Selected for it's strategic position south of St. Louis, Missouri, Jefferson Barracks opened in 1826, and became the United States Army's first permanent base west of the Mississippi River. During the 1940s, it was also the largest military establishment in the country. During the Civil War, Jefferson Barracks became a training post for Union soldiers. Ironically, the cemetery also holds over 1,000 Confederate soldiers. The cemetery has honorably served as a burial place for soldiers from all US wars.
Grave markers roll with the hills as the flag in the background flies at half-staff honoring Veteran's Day.
The importance of the post waned rather quickly following World War II, and the post was deactivated in 1946. However, the grounds continue to expand as a national cemetery as demand grows. Jefferson Barracks was named to the National Register of Historical Places in 1998.
One marker is flanked by both the US flag and a flag commemorating Veteran's Day.